Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thoughts on the Internet

I was reading Daniel's last post about the Internet the other day... I find myself agreeing to some of his points. True, things are changing. But does change always have to be a bad thing? Change can be development and in this case it is, I think, and isn't that what the human race aims for? Yes, the Internet is over-commercialized. Tracking cookies, ad-overloaded pages and information-collecting applications are common. And there is 'crime' in the Internet as well. I was taking a look at my web server access logs the other day and was amazed once again of how many thousands of entries it had - 99.9% of them probably hack-attempts.

I find the Internet reflects the real life very much. I mean, nowadays there are wars fought online - just look at the example of wikileaks and the aftermath.

Anyway, nevertheless I find it wrong to say that there is little space for individuality. Actually there is nearly unlimited space for individuality - more, probably, than most people ever have in real life. It is just 'a teardrop in the rain', as Daniel pointed out. So to be truly individual one has to come up with something new, something different... then suddenly this teardrop in the rain becomes noticeable. Maybe one should not use 'individuality' in the context Daniel did. Maybe one should use 'privacy' instead. Because for privacy there truly doesn't seem to be much space in the Internet. If you want privacy, don't go online.

So long - Jocbe

No comments:

Post a Comment